I have downsized and lightened this Amish classic casserole for a healthier family meal. Use the low-fat, low-salt versions of the canned soups, if you can find them. Aldi’s sells Light and Fit versions. My family has enjoyed this classic casserole for many years.
Excerpted from: The Best of Amish Cooking, by Phyllis Pellman Good
“What Is The Amish Food Tradition In The New World?”
Many myths exist about the Amish and their food. Separated as they are from the larger world in their dress and transportation choices, they are not immune to the many food options in the grocery stores of their communities. They shop, and so they pick up packaged cereal, boxes of fruit-flavored gelatin and cans of concentrated soup. Although tuna noodle casserole and chili con carne turn up on the tables of Amish homes, and chocolate chip cookies and lunch meats are packed into the lunch boxes of Amish school children, cornmeal mush and chicken pot pie are still favorites. Because the Amish are a living group, despite their regard for tradition, their menus continue to change. Their foods are influenced by their neighbors and the recipes they find on boxes containing packaged foods or in the pages of farm magazines and local newspapers.
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium Onion chopped (1/4 cup)
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 can (10.5 oz.) condensed tomato soup
8 oz. wide Egg noodles
1 can (10.5 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
4 oz. sliced American cheese (not cheese food)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Lightly coat a 2 qt. glass baking dish with canola oil spray.
3. Heat an 10 inch cast iron skillet, until hot and dry. Remove from heat and lightly coat with canola oil spray. Return skillet to very low heat while dicing onion and putting water on to boil for noodles.
4. Cook egg noodles; drain. Return drained noodles to kettle and stir in cream of chicken soup.
5. Brown beef and onion in seasoned skillet, stirring to break up meat. Remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar and tomato soup.
6. Layer beef mixture in bottom of prepared baking dish. Layer cheese slices over beef mixture. Layer noodle mixture over the cheese slices.
7. Put in middle rack of oven and bake for 30 minutes.
For a traditional meal, serve with sides of green beans, pickled beets, bread and butter.