Saturday, November 15, 2014

Garda’s Baked Spaghetti

By Gail Foley

My mother-in-law was a wonderful woman. She had a magic way with children, but cooking not so much. This is a recipe I recreated at the request of my husband, Richard, about thirty years ago. The big difference from her recipe is that I never use spaghetti sauce from a jar. I use whatever sauce I have left over and I almost never make spaghetti sauce the exact same way. So use your favorite sauce.

3 cups leftover cooked spaghetti noodles
3 cups leftover spaghetti sauce
12 slices real American cheese (NOT cheese food wrapped in individual slices)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a one and a half quart rectangular glass baking dish with canola oil spray.

Spread half of noodles in bottom of dish. Cover with half of sauce.
Top with six slices of cheese. Repeat layer.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until bubbly and cheese is starting to brown.

Let cool for five minutes or so. Cut in six squares and serve with a vegetable or side salad and a crusty garlic bread. Some red wine is nice too! The kids always liked green beans on the side. Myself, I prefer lightly steamed broccoli. (but no wine for the little ones ;-)


Richard really likes a good crusty browned top on this casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment