Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Avocado Pineapple and Tomato Salad

OOh, I love avocados. They are so rich and creamy. And they have been on sale in the stores. When avocados are under $1 each, I am prone to buy several. Just make sure they are still hard. It will take them a couple of days to be perfectly ripe, then watch them disappear.

I haven't posted for a while. I had some serious computer trouble after my last post and lost about half of my recipes. I was discouraged. Then it was Christmas. Then I started serious job hunting. Now, I have just finished my job with the US Census and school won't start until fall. I am doing more gardening this year than in the past, so I will see what I can fit in here.

I was in West Union last Saturday morning and happened upon a yard sale at the VFD. I bought some new cookbooks and was inspired to try a new recipe. Pictured is Avocado, Pineapple and Tomato Salad from "McCall’s New Cookbook Collection", "Volume 22 Regional Cookbook", pg. 36; Advance Publishers, Orlando, FL; 1985. I bought most of the volumes. Three are missing, but I was able to buy them used.

This recipe was in the Hawaiian section. It has a tangy lime dressing and was a zip to make.




AVOCADO PINEAPPLE AND TOMATO SALAD

Lime Dressing
1/2 cup salad oil
1/3 cup lime juice
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon minced onion


Salad
2 medium avocados
2 cups drained pineapple chunks
2 medium tomatoes, cut in thin wedges


1. Make Lime Dressing: In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine all dressing ingredients; shake well. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
2. Make Salad: Peel avocados; remove pits; cut flesh into cubes.
3. In medium bowl, combine avocado cubes and pineapple chunks. Pour dressing over all. Refrigerate 1 hour.
4. To Serve: Arrange avocado and pineapple on 6 to 8 individual serving plates. Circle each salad with tomato wedges.

MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment