Friday, July 17, 2009

Chicken Viola

I found this recipe at Daily Recipes. I am always intrigued when I hear that a recipe has been in a family for generations. The ingredients are inexpensive and usually on hand. But when I went to make this recipe, I saw some problems right off. There were no real measurements, just a bag of this and a can of that. Then I saw how much chicken they were putting in one 9” x 13” dish with all those other ingredients and I thought maybe it would all work out if we were making two 9” x 13” dishes!


Using experience and trial and error, I came up with proportions that made a truly delicious and deluxe casserole. First, I poached the chicken breasts instead of boiling. Boiling tends to make breast meat tough. Poaching results in more tender meat. Then I used fresh steamed broccoli spears, a deluxe alternative to frozen broccoli. Next, I added some milk to the soup to make the casserole a little moister. I used a whole pound of cheese, but you could probably get by with less. Finally, I used Panko for the topping resulting in a casserole special enough for a Ladies Luncheon. Thanks to Ashly and Sandy!


8 oz. egg noodles
1 lb. (2 – 3) boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can (4 oz.) mushrooms, drained
1 bunch (2 - 3 heads) fresh broccoli
2 cans (10.5 oz.) condensed cream of celery soup
1 cup milk
4 cups (16 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups Panko bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Coat a 9” x 13” glass baking dish with canola oil spray.
Boil noodles until almost done and drain. Spread noodles in bottom of prepared dish.
While noodles are cooking, trim the chicken breasts and poach: Place them in a 6 cup saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for 7 minutes. Turn off heat, cover and let set for 7 minutes. Drain and fill with cold water to handle. Shred over noodles.
Sprinkle the mushrooms over the chicken.
While chicken is cooking, trim and steam broccoli spears. (See previous recipe for Steamed Broccoli.
Arrange broccoli spears over chicken and mushrooms.
In large mixing bowl, whisk together soup and milk. Stir in cheese and spread over broccoli.
Put margarine in 1 quart microwaveable bowl. Cover with wax paper. Heat on defrost for one minute. Stir. Pour Panko crumbs over melted butter. Toss lightly with fork to mix. Sprinkle crumbs over casserole.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until heated through.

Serves 8.

Adapted from Chicken Viola 
Posted by: Sandy U. sandyu42@XXXXXXXX at Daily Recipes
Date: 4/6/2006 2:42 PM
Source: http://online-cookbook.com - ashly 
Comments: Came from generations in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment