Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Creamed Zucchini and Cilantro

This French inspired recipe is adapted from Zucchini with Cilantro and Cream, by Hélène Wagner-Popoff, Corsica, France; Bon Appetit; May 2002.
“Hélène Wagner-Popoff writes, "My husband, Ivan, and I moved to Corsica from Madagascar eleven years ago on a whim. We restored an abandoned convent and saved the thousand-year-old olive grove surrounding it. Today we produce an olive oil called 'de pays de Corse Ivan Popoff.'
Although I was born in Lyons, the subtle flavors typical of Corsican cooking have definitely influenced my style. My dishes are extremely varied and well thought-out, but most of all simple. I like to surprise my family and guests with unexpected flavor combinations that don't take a lot of effort."
While this is delicious on its own as a side dish, Hélène also recommends it as a sauce spooned over roasted fish.”
I served this with Cajun Grilled Catfish. Yumm! I substituted olive oil for butter, chopped garlic for cloves and milk with cornstarch for cream - lower fat and ingredients on hand. Of course I really liked this recipe to use up the fresh cilantro growing abundantly now.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 3/4 pounds (2 medium) zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup milk

Heat iron skillet, until hot and dry. Remove from heat and lightly coat with vegetable oil spray. Return to very low heat while slicing zucchini and chopping cilantro.
Sauté zucchini, garlic and cilantro in olive oil over medium heat for five minutes until zucchini is crisp tender.
Put cornstarch in cup and stir in the milk.
Turn heat to low and pour milk over zucchini, stirring constantly until thickened, about one minute.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately.

Serves 4 to 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment