Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Peanutty Noodles with Zucchini

This recipe was originally from Good Housekeeping and called Sesame Noodles. The only sesame here is the oil. I have adapted it to ingredients on hand – i.e. an abundance of zucchini!
The original recipe called for green onions, cucumber, radishes and carrot. My green onions are gone now, but I have plenty of fresh chives. I can’t eat raw cucumbers, but I have lots of zucchini. My radishes didn’t make it this year. I thought carrot ribbons would be nicer with the long noodles. Fettucine would work just as well as vermicelli. I cut the soy sauce way back. It was too salty and made the noodles too dark. I substituted hot sauce for crushed red pepper. Fresh ginger is nice, when available. Overall, this is a tasty Asian style noodle dish.

16 oz. vermicelli
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
¼ tsp. hot red pepper sauce
½ cup water
3 Tbsp. fresh chopped chives
1 small (6” x 1”) zucchini, unpeeled, cut lengthwise in half and thinly sliced ¼”crosswise
1 medium carrot, shaved into long thin ribbons with peeler

Cook noodles per package directions.
Meanwhile, in blender, mix peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, hot sauce and 1/2 cup water until blended. Set sauce aside.
Chop chives, zucchini and carrot.
Drain noodles.
In large pasta bowl, toss noodles with sauce until evenly coated. Top with vegetables; toss before serving.

Serves 4 to 6.

Adapted from: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/sesame-noodles-666?click=main_sr

No comments:

Post a Comment